The Disston Thumbhole Saw Handle Template

One of my favorite images of this saw is from the Disstonian site 


The Disstonian Institution


Many templates for saw handles exist online. Such as Craftsmanspace, Two Guys In A Garage, and Blackburn Tools

I just assumed that the popular thumb-hole D8 was one of them. Although I saw it mentioned in a few articles, like those on that paywalled woodworking site, the references to it seem to fall on dead links and 404 pages. After deciding that I will make one myself, I also tracked down someone who mentioned using a template found online. He still had a copy and shared it with me. 

So I am putting a copy of that file here for all to have. I find no copyright statement in it so I feel comfortable sharing it here. If this changes, and someone wants to claim it as their own, I will happily give them attribution or take it down whichever is appropriate. 

As well, I am in the process of creating one based on a photograph posted at Blackburn's site


http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/saw-handle-scans/index.html

Here is my preliminary image it does need some cleanup, some reference holes for cutting, and more topographical carving references. If anyone would see fit to send me an actual one, I can make it that much more accurate. However, I will eventually come across one in my travels and some day take care of it :





And without further adieu the sought after template so sorely missing from the internet, and the way back machine...

disston_d8_thumbhole.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Actual Disston D8 Thumbhole Saw Handle Template

Stupid Bee Math, and the size of a bait hive